How do you get a byline and the interest of the editors in a publication you love? Let’s hear some tips from my guest, Amber Petty!
Key points in this episode:
– Amber shares how she got into freelance writing rather than her background in arts
– Some of her favorite publications she has written for
– Pitching and how to do it right
– Great places to pitch
– What is a byline
– How to gain the interest of the editors and readers
– How to overcome writer’s block when pitching
– How many times should we be pitching
– What’s the response time from the editors
– How pitching works
– How to get your first gig when you don’t have work samples
About the Guest:
Amber Petty is a writer/teacher in Los Angeles, who’s written for the New York Times, Parade, Greatist, Bustle, Thrillist, MTV, and some less fancy publications. In addition to writing, she helps creatives break into freelance writing and get bylines in fun places like Vox, Vulture, Polygon, Huffington Post, and lots more.
Connect with Amber:
Additional resources mentioned in the show:
– Go to Amberpetty.com to download her free resource - a list of 250 publications that pay for your writing. It includes the masthead or submission info for places in a wide range of niches.
– Ulysses – if you are doing different types of writing or you just want a space that’s not on Google Docs or just kind of a separate space for it, download it on your phone and on your computer, and it saves automatically.
Welcome to the Savvy Scribe Podcast, I'm so glad you're here! Before we start the show, if you're interested, we have a free Facebook group called "Savvy Nurse Writer Community"
I appreciate you following me and listening today. I would LOVE for you to subscribe: ITUNESSupport the show
FOLLOW & REVIEW THE SAVVY SCRIBE ON APPLE PODCASTS
I appreciate you following me and listening today. I would LOVE for you to subscribe: ITUNES
And if you love it, can I ask for a review? Select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.”
If you’re ready to start exploring if freelance writing is your next PRN job or even full-time, I invite you to check out the Savvy Nurse Writer Community on Facebook and the Plan Produce Profit Course + Membership to help you get started today!